Upcoming 2019 Seed to STEM Workshops
Get excited! Kansas Corn is now accepting applications for the 2019 summer workshops.
Kansas Corn hosts two workshops in the summer for Kansas high school and middle school science teachers. During the workshop each teacher will practice labs that they can used in the classroom to help students learn the role agriculture plays in science. These labs can be found on our 6-12 curriculum page. Teachers can use the labs at any time regardless if they have attended the workshop.
The workshop includes a farm and field visit, an industry dinner and a field trip to an ethanol plant. In addition every teacher will receive $500 worth of free lab resources, plus all on-site expenses are paid. Graduate credit will also be available at a cost to the participant.
Seed to STEM
- May 30-31 in Olathe located at Oregon Trail Middle School
- June 4-5 in Maize located at Maize South High School
We are offering a middle school and high school track at each location. Before applying we encourage you to look at the labs for each track so you select the track that is best for you. Labs can be found at 6-12 curriculum. Application deadline is April 1st. Apply for Seed to STEM Today!
Seed to STEM 2.0
Past Seed to STEM participants are encouraged to sign up for our first Seed to STEM 2.0 summer workshop. Each participant will practice 8-12 NEW labs, attend an industry dinner and collaborate with other teachers about their experiences using Seed to STEM labs in the classroom. In addition every teacher will receive $500 worth of free lab resources, plus all on-site expenses are paid. We are working on making graduate credit available at a cost to the participant. Only 20 teachers will be selected per track. Application deadline is March 1st and those selected will be notified mid March. Apply for Seed to STEM 2.0 Today!
- High School Track- May 30-31 in Olathe located at Oregon Trail Middle School
- The lab titles/topics include: DNA extraction, Electrophoresis, Plant Tissue Culture, Corn Genetics and Statistical Analysis, Biodiesel, Roots and Shoots, Irrigation, Just Dirt, Precision Ag Management, Seed Hybrids, Scouting and Diesel versus Biodiesel.
- Middle School Track- June 4-5 in Maize located at Maize South High School
- The lab titles/topics include: Roots and Shoots, Corn Genetics and Statistical Analysis, Scouting for Pests, Water Conservation, Corn Plastic, Fossil Fuel versus Biofuels, Water Quality, Soil Erosion, DNA extraction
2018 Summer Workshop Schedules
Check out a few schedules from last years workshops.
2018 Summer Workshop- High School Track in Ottawa
2018 Summer Workshop- Middle School in Wichita
Meet the 2018-2019 Seed to STEM lead teacher team.
From Left to Right: Brian Nelson, Shelly Robinson, James Burk, Brent Conner, Blake Smith, Lacie Fair, Bill Welch and Chris Remmich. Front Row: Jessica Sadler, Sharon Thielen, Erin Rios. To learn more about the team click here.